Do’s and Don’ts for Conventions
“The world of anime and video games is so wonderful! If only there was a magical place where people who appreciated games/anime could meet up and attend events about anime/videogames. Everyone would be so nice to me, and nothing bad would ever happen.”
They’re called conventions, my dear, and the things that happen in every day life also happen at conventions. I’ve attempted to make a list of a few guidelines to follow should you wish to get the most out of any convention. Some of them are specific to cosplayers, and others are just general guidelines that should be followed regardless of whether or not you’re wearing a costume.
- Follow the rules. They are put in place for your protection and the protection of others.
- Be kind to your photographers. They exist to serve you, so if you treat them with respect, you’ll receive the very same respect in return.
- It’s okay to say “No, I do not want my picture taken.” If you’re nervous or angry that someone is taking your picture, it Will show up in your photo. You don’t want to look bad in your pictures, and we don’t want bad pictures.
- Wear things that really make it easy for people to recognize your character. You might have a lucky star sailor uniform, but without the right hair style/color/accessory, it’s going to be pretty difficult to tell just exactly which character you were going for.
- Be nice to people who can’t guess which character you are. They don’t live under a rock; it’s just that they have lives outside of videogames and anime.
- Be careful of who you trust with your possessions. She might seem cool now, but later on she’ll be running through the hotel with your things on.
- Do use deodorant, it is both a friend to you and those around you.
- And on the topic of personal hygiene, remember to shower and eat on a regular basis. You wouldn’t believe how many people forget to eat.
Not to do:
- Do not leave your things unattended. In large groups of people, there’s always a chance that someone will jack your things.
- Do not accept drinks from strangers.
- Do not stalk cosplayers/photographers/staff/etc. If you’re trying to hook up or become acquainted with someone, stalking them won’t exactly win you any major points.
And above all else, treat others the way you would like to be treated. As long as we follow these simple points, everyone will be able to enjoy their convention experience to the fullest.